Wednesday, November 9, 2016

If I Had the Right Words Would You Stop?


Many times I have wondered if there are any adequate words to brilliantly summarize the reasons people should stop turning their backs on the suffering they cause. I am simply unable to come up with anything so amazing and motivating that awakens people to the depravity they are supporting and causes them to decide to stop.

When I realized I didn’t have to kill or exploit anyone to live a happy and healthy life, I welcomed this concept. It seemed absurd I had continued on such a violent and ignorant path for so long (more than 30 years of my life).

I knew I had to tell the others about the horror…the many people I knew who “loved animals” just like I did. The people who were decent and kind – they would NEVER willingly participate in such atrocity - surely they would want to know!

I thought all we had to do was tell them…

Needless to say, I was a bit naïve! I was SHOCKED to find out that other people preferred to look away – to willingly turn their backs – it was SHOCKING. Many chose to instead become angry or defiant with me for even trying to talk to them!

Hubby and I have been vegan about 10 years now. It can be hard to look at the world as I sometimes now see it. Many of the people I meet who I sincerely want to believe are decent and kind so easily turn their backs and willingly support the worst forms of abuse and exploitation of other gentle beings. I cannot relate to that person any more than I can relate to someone who abuses dogs, cats, children, etc.

Without *seeing* the truth – without thinking for myself - I could never have imagined how absolutely ghastly these *industries* are. Any *industry* that exploits animals guards dark secrets – ‘routine industry practices’ - that would sicken and seriously disturb all but the most violent and twisted psychopaths.

And the truth is right there, for anyone who cares to find it. They may not put it on the advertisements, but in the age of internet the reality is literally right at our fingertips. Still many choose not to *see* and thus the violence they perpetrate continues. It is both maddening and utterly perplexing.

I see *nice* people whose actions are much worse than the worst horror film I have ever seen. I also see who they believe they are, the definite goodness and decency they have within. I sincerely want them to truly be that person. I believe in them. No matter how long we have managed to deceive ourselves there is always the potential for that one day…that moment of clarity.

Every day I go out into this world of people – people who try to help others, people who rescue stray dogs and cats, people who give to charity, people who share cute animal videos - and I see what the millions of exploited animals surely see – a world full of violent monsters masquerading as peaceful “animal-loving” people.

I completely understand how it is possible to spend a long period of life and not even once really think about the many ways we unnecessarily exploit animals. What I could NEVER understand is someone who is given this critical character-defining information and continues to choose to look the other way based on a perceived minor inconvenience or fear of change. No matter how hard you perceive change is (it isn’t actually very hard), I assure you what you are putting our fellow Earthlings through is MUCH worse.

I have never stopped believing in people and I never will. It only takes that one moment of clarity and the willingness to take responsibility for our choices. And willful ignorance does not absolve their abhorrent actions.

End speciesism.
Be Kind.
Empathy. Ethics. Justice.
Vegan for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrespectful or nasty comments will be deleted. Thank you.