Friday, September 12, 2014

Vegan Secrets



Some things only vegans may know:

1) Many Vegans Get Hate Mail

I occasionally get hate mail. There is something so inherently challenging and worrisome about vegans that it seems many simply cannot tolerate. I think it is such a strange thing. As a vegan and yes, a tree-hugger, I find I can rarely say or post much of anything without having some (most?) feel offended or put-off. I have been de-friended or blocked multiple times so no one has to see the reality.

This is fine with me, though it does confuse me some. Having now been an activist a long time I am quite accustomed to it and remain undaunted in my quest, though I often feel bad for new or younger activists getting the taste of being the ‘different’ one, as it can be brutal.

It is so odd to me. Most people I know have children, grandchildren, etc. I do not understand where the benefit lies in the refusal to take a hard look at science and reality. People feel vegans are sentimental and extreme, when in fact their choices are based on facts and science of truth. We will most likely live long enough to see this truth finally hit the light of day, and the lies and media and propaganda finally fall away.

2) Vegans are Considered Terrorists.

Well, most of us are anyways. While I have no idea if I personally am a person of suspicion, I do know of many people I admire very much who were put on watch lists as possible terrorists. This, too, freaks me out. The movie, “Behind the Mask” tells some of the story there. Activists do not have to be affiliated with ALF to be a person of interest, these days you just have to be a vegan!

3) [Most] Vegans Don’t Hate Meat Eaters!

Frustration is often a fair term for how I feel in regards to people who eat animal products, not dislike or hate. I don’t know what to say to motivate people to change. I don’t know how to tell them without them turning away. I understand many people simply don’t know what is happening. Next thing you know they are scared to post recipes and the like (maybe fear of being judged? I don’t know), and would rather just avoid me altogether since it is easier.

I didn’t create this problem and I will not stop trying to fix it. Every day whether I am on Facebook, YouTube, Email, my professional or personal life, I am thinking about how to get you to care. To realize how important YOU are in your family’s longevity and survival, their ability to enjoy what we were fortunate enough to enjoy. In being kind to all beings. In preserving our planet’s resources.

When I first found out about all of these issues, it seemed SO SIMPLE to me…

“We just have to tell people what is happening,” I thought.

I was once POSITIVE you wouldn’t put up with this once you knew.

Instead the ‘real’ me is uncomfortable for many, or, even still, in some settings people feel compelled to challenge me at every turn. I would ENJOY true discussion and challenge, but I find that most people do not argue with any actual thought or science and have never checked one thing I have posted as rational, true, or sensible, leading not to discussion, but to pointless frustration!

One of my best friends in the whole world, who I had known for 40 years, found veganism particularly threatening. He would not stop bringing it up, incessantly challenging my patience and persistently trying (and failing) to put me down, finally looked me in the face and said point-blank (while petting my dog), “I guess I just have no moral compass for a pig.”

I don’t miss him.

Off to check my hate mail! (lol)

(Please don’t feel this is sad or feel bad for me, I certainly don’t. I am so grateful I woke up and I wouldn’t trade that for ANYTHING or ANYBODY in the whole world. I am THRILLED every day that I am vegan, and there are many people that ARE supportive. I LOVE being vegan.)

Thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrespectful or nasty comments will be deleted. Thank you.