Saturday, October 11, 2014

"But your car isn't vegan?!?!"



Nope, it isn't (unfortunately). Vegan cars are not [yet] widely available. HOWEVER, I do not take the concessions I am forced to make in this world as license to be an exploiter in other areas. Being vegan is about doing the best you can to avoid the suffering and oppression of other sentient beings, including humans. It is not about being perfect, which in this current world is impossible.
(If vegan cars ever become available, I'll be the first in line for one!)

GREAT QUOTE:
"People look at me as a vegan and conclude that since I stepped on a snail or because the vegetables I eat resulted in a tractor death for a squirrel somewhere in Paraguay that somehow vegans are hypocrites, which of course they're not since perfection is an unattainable goal and is something to be driven towards, never actually achieved.
The difference between you and the vegan standing next to you is that while you're both going to step on a bug tomorrow, they've decided to dedicate their lives to do as little harm as possible, completely independent from what you do. So in no way does the protozoan life form they step on negate your responsibility for the lamb you're paying a stranger to cut tomorrow. And falling 1% short of an unattainable goal is really good when you're standing next to someone who won't even try."
- Shelley Williams

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Karyn! Well said, as always. Of course, we drivers CAN take responsible measures like shunning leather upholstery and choosing tires from manufacturers that do not use animal products in the process (hooray, Michelin!). In the meantime, keep driving TOWARDS perfection, realizing that you'll never be able to afford the rent there. Truth is, the stops along the way can be as rewarding as the "goal."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was referring to the bugs on my windshield I keep being forced to discuss :(
      (I'm kidding, sorta)
      I agree - it is OK to strive for perfection, as long as you can accept that is not usually how it works out!

      Delete

Disrespectful or nasty comments will be deleted. Thank you.