Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Taking Responsibility



I have seen many vegans debate the methods of approach to vegan outreach. The debate of whether pictures or videos of farm abuse is effective, the debate whether being bold and truthful or soothing and sweet is more effective, etc.

This is irritating. Regardless of personality, vegans should not take personal blame for a ‘bad approach’ if people do not listen to them. This reflects NOT upon the vegan but on the PEOPLE’S refusal to consider some very simple but overlooked principles.

I have seen every story ‘under the sun’ as to why someone went vegan. Sometimes a nice vegan friend, an article, book, a visit to a zoo, a discussion with a protester at a circus, etc., and sometime it is simply a hard kick in the ass.

When I was told I was an animal abuser I listened. I wouldn’t ever want to be that. I wasn’t told nicely, there were no flowers or apologies, just the facts. I went vegan immediately. No excuses. No ignoring my part. No more.

I’ve learned sooooooo much since then. I realize now how much I didn’t know. Now my thinking is so different than it used to be. I would never go back to the person I used to be…why would I want to? Why would I harm anyone or cause another to suffer if I could avoid it?

So, if I feel like posting something that is blunt, I will do so. If I like something lovey and sweet I’ll post that too. If my nonvegan friends want to ignore the posts and continue on this destructive and violent path of oppression and horror? That reflects upon THEM, not upon me.
______________________________

(To be clear, this is about personality., NOT about things like SICs. The message is VEGANISM and no other. Veganism as the LEAST we can do. This is about how people choose to express that message.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disrespectful or nasty comments will be deleted. Thank you.